American Gold Star Manor Housing Assistance Grant FAQ
Updated March 2022
Q: What is the american gold star manor housing Assistance grant?
The American Gold Star Manor Housing Assistance Grant provides funds for rental and mortgage payments to low-income Gold Star Parents across the United States of America.
Q: how much is the grant award?
The award covers three months of rent or mortgage payments, not to exceed $5,000.
Q: when is the deadline to apply?
Applications submitted electronically, mailed, or submitted to the office must be received no later than June 30, 2022. Mailed applications postmarked in advance of the deadline, but received after will not be considered.
Q: how can i apply?
An online application is available on the Manor website on the Housing Assistance Grant webpage.
Paper applications are available upon request.
Q: who is eligible?
In general, applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for Grant funds:
1. Gold Star parent status
2. Low-income household/family. For the purpose of this grant, we are defining low income as any family or household with a combined income of no more than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level. (See table below to determine if you qualify based on the size of your household.) Total household assets must be below $70,000.
3. Be experiencing some type of hardship or emergency (including recent job loss, illness, housing instability, etc.)
4. Grants are limited to one per household per calendar year. Applicants are ineligible if they have received the Grant three consecutive times previously.
5. Cannot be a board member, foundation manager or substantial contributor to AGSM or a family member of a board member, foundation manager, or substantial contributor of AGSM.
|Household / Family Size||Maximum Income|
Q: what documentation do I need to apply?
The applicant will be required to provide proof of eligibility by submitting supporting documentation, which may include:
· A DD Form 1300, DD Form 2064, or other documents demonstrating death was related to military service.
· Income and asset information which may include copies of wages, salaries, alimony, child support, Social Security, AFDC, or other benefits.
· Previous award dates, if applicable.
· Narrative of hardship with relevant attachments. For example: lease, mortgage, foreclosure, demands, notice of defaults, eviction documents and the like.
Q: if I am awarded the grant, will i receive the grant funds directly?
We will work directly with your landlord or mortgage lender to ensure that the grant funds are used to cover rent or mortgage payments for the time period and in the amount specified in an awardee’s Notice of Award letter.
Q: How will my application be evaluated?
Applications will be evaluated based on greatest financial need, as determined by level of income.
Q: What if I need help filling out the application? Who can I call with questions?
If you need any help filling out the application or if you have any questions about the program, please contact the American Gold Star Manor office at (562) 426-7651.